What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (“impotence”) is the persistent inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. It can be a total inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or a tendency to sustain only brief erections.
Erectile Dysfunction may be caused by a physical condition or by a psychological condition (such as stress or depression). However, the most common cause of Erectile Dysfunction is a physical condition.
Physical causes include:
- Reduced blood flow to the penis (Vascular-Based Erectile Dysfunction)
- Diseases or injury which affect the nerves going to the penis (neurologic-based ED)
- Certain hormonal conditions
- Side effect of certain medications
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Oral drug therapy (medication taken by mouth) – oral drugs temporarily increase the blood flow to the penis, (such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra and other medications).
- Urethral therapy – a small pellet is inserted into the urethral opening of the penis. This helps stimulate blood flow to the penis.
- Injection therapy – a medication is injected to the base of the penis. This helps stimulate blood flow to the penis.
Vacuum Devices – a plastic container is placed around the penis. A pump then sucks out the air from the container to create a vacuum, which causes blood to be drawn into the penis and cause an erection. When erect, a rubber band is placed at the base of the penis to maintain the erection.
Surgery – a rod-shaped prosthesis is implanted into the penis. Some types can be inflated with an inbuilt pump to cause an erection. Other types keeps the penis rigid all the time.
NeoWaves (Shock Wave Therapy) – We use a our specialized protocol and energy settings to give the most optimal results. Low Intensity Shock wave therapy uses energy from acoustic waves to trigger a process called neo-vascularization in the penis.